Tuesday, October 9, 2012

Communication!

I have experienced the most amazing moments of my life, so far. Last march I took the plane to SF, to study english over there. That was very new, because I'd never left my country to study abroad.
On my very first day, I remember getting into the classroom. I was kind of trying to find the class I was supposed to get in, and when I finally found it, I had a sit. I remember me asking people where they came from and things like that. On that day I got I was the only brazilian in the class, and If I wanted to talk, it should be essencially in english! 
So, months went by and the most I observed people talking, the most I was getting the way they speak... English! And when I less expected, I was talking to them in english, too! That was when the trip started to be worth it!
In my classroom and all over the school, everyone could see people from the most different countries! Consequentely, over the breaks people from the same country talked in their language, which was not a big deal. The funniest thing was that when I saw people talking, most times I had no idea of what could possibly be going on! I just knew one thing, if they wanted to talk to the whole school, they should speak in english to everyone understand. And that was exactly the logical of studying english! The big importance of it!
I remember over the break, people talking and laughing between them. And the rest looking like staring and trying to imagine what was that all about. That was when I realized that just knowing my language, Portuguese, was just so little. I had to know english, because I wanted all of them to understand what I'd got to say. The same way they talked in english, to everyone get the chance to understand. What to understand?! Words, thoughts, jokes, news... To communicate with each other! 
Ok, listening to people talking in some language I had no idea of what, wasn't that fun! However, it was great to know how our first linguagens can be so different, but we can have communication! We all just had to know only one common language. English!

No comments:

Post a Comment